Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Technique Practice, Molten Stone

Just a quick post tonight.  After going down to the Brothers Grimm on Long Island for a tournament I've decided our club needs more terrain!  So I figure I better get to work. 

I know I've always been a bit of a lazy painter.  I tend to not paint for long periods of time, and then rush through a job when I need to get something done.  I've decided I want to try and change my ways, start learning how to really paint and try my best to enjoy and embrace this side of the miniature hobby.

So here are a few shots of some technique practice that I did this evening.  I have had the Warhammer Ruins set sitting in my living room assembled but unpainted for about 6 months.  This spire was done as a mock up before I go ahead and paint the entire Ruins piece.  I'm pretty happy with the result, so I guess I'll have to move forward on it!

This was a pretty simple design.  First the entire piece was sprayed Black using the GW spray paint.  Then a dry brush of Codex Grey was applied over the entire piece.  After that a highlight dry brush of Fortress Grey was run over the skulls at the top and bottem, as well as along all the hard edges.  A final VERY light drybrush of Fortress Grey was also done over the flat surface to bring out a bit of depth.

The Molten Stone was also pretty quick and easy to do.  First I applied a layer of Mechrite Red foundation paint to deliniate the fire area.  After that it was a quick layer of Blood Red, Blazing Orange, Firey Orange, Golden Yellow, and a really small bit of Skull white.  So what do you guys think?

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fire Dragon Exarch

Well I'm hard at work painting up my Eldar army for the upcoming Conflict GT next weekend!  It certainly is a long process.  Here is one guy im pretty proud of,  he is a fire dragon exarch.  I got insperation for his paint scheme from a Fire Dragon picture I saw on GW's what's happening today blog. 
Here is the image I based mine off of:

And heres what I came up with! (unfortunatly still working on taking brighter pictures.

Its hard to see in these images, but I attempted to reproduce the dull red paint found on the GW guy by dry brushing the Foundation Red paint over the entire model before doing anything else.  Im really happy with the result I got!