Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Technique Practice, Molten Stone

Just a quick post tonight.  After going down to the Brothers Grimm on Long Island for a tournament I've decided our club needs more terrain!  So I figure I better get to work. 

I know I've always been a bit of a lazy painter.  I tend to not paint for long periods of time, and then rush through a job when I need to get something done.  I've decided I want to try and change my ways, start learning how to really paint and try my best to enjoy and embrace this side of the miniature hobby.

So here are a few shots of some technique practice that I did this evening.  I have had the Warhammer Ruins set sitting in my living room assembled but unpainted for about 6 months.  This spire was done as a mock up before I go ahead and paint the entire Ruins piece.  I'm pretty happy with the result, so I guess I'll have to move forward on it!

This was a pretty simple design.  First the entire piece was sprayed Black using the GW spray paint.  Then a dry brush of Codex Grey was applied over the entire piece.  After that a highlight dry brush of Fortress Grey was run over the skulls at the top and bottem, as well as along all the hard edges.  A final VERY light drybrush of Fortress Grey was also done over the flat surface to bring out a bit of depth.

The Molten Stone was also pretty quick and easy to do.  First I applied a layer of Mechrite Red foundation paint to deliniate the fire area.  After that it was a quick layer of Blood Red, Blazing Orange, Firey Orange, Golden Yellow, and a really small bit of Skull white.  So what do you guys think?


1 comment:

  1. Well I had my Skull Temple set assembled and unpainted in my house for ELEVEN months, so take that Mr. Fancy Pants!
    (It's early in the morning and I'm still a little out of it) :)

    I really like the molten look - that really came out nice!

    ReplyDelete